Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day 25: Summer cocktails for the college pocket

On this lovely first day of summer, I'm sure you are sitting outside on the porch drinking a pitcher of Mojito, or even better Margarita (because who doesn't love tequila!?). However, I don't think these are the best drinks in this day and age for your wallet.  Don't get me wrong we all deserve to spoil ourselves every now and then. On days when we can't it's time to get creative. You might even need hot sauce and orange juice for starters. Okay, I know that seemsweird but hear me out. I have lots of ideas of drinks that I have made on a whim when my pocket was a bit on the lighter side.

Things that you will always need if you're a drinker.
  • Vodka- It is the most versatile liquor there is. Plain vodka can mix well with any flavor you try to combine. I say get a fairly decent handle that will last you for...two weeks. Maybe a month for the average person. However, we're college students, so get two handles of vodka. Something I prefer that is a good investment as well is Svedka. It's not overly distilled, but it's not choppy either for you it to be difficult to swallow if you're a shot taker. Like me.
  • Rum- another decent substitute. It's perfect for the classic rum and coke and it takes on most of your fruit drinks like vodka. I can't honestly provide the best rum for you. Rum is something you should be picky with. There are so many that have their own character. That's the trick with rum,  is that it can catch up with you faster than vodka. Drink with Caution

So now aside from cheap beer. I gave you two essential liquors were you can actually unleash that creative monster within you in your kitchen. It's okay to make mistakes. I know what I know by making mistakes, and trying new things. Grant it, I do have some tendencies to wish to be a bartender or a Chef. I have this weird palate and I can make the strangest things into something great just by looking around the house. Stop buying the same things over and over again people! You are wasting your money when you can see what you have in your house, and create something unknown to anyone.

For example
  • Spiced Screwdriver- Half parts orange juice and vodka. But first, put a bit of chili powder and hot sauce at the bottom of your glass first. It gives that boring screw driver a bit of a kick!
  • Gatorade and Whiskey- yea you heard me, GATORADE AND WHISKEY It's sweet, smooth if you drink the right whiskey (sorry to the Jack Daniels lovers, I don't think that heavy charcoal taste that whiskey gives will go well with the Gatorade. Stick to shots or coke. )
  • Mix any fruit juice with Rum and with Vodka. People don't realize when it comes to getting drunk, we are already creative enough. I know that's not water in that Nalgene, now put something fun in it!

2 comments:

  1. I think I will try the chilli powder and hot sauce. I have no orange juice, but I have tonic water and ice tea. What can I add to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm depends on what kind of iced tea you have. It sounds interesting to try. I'm curious as to how much tonic water you would mix ice tea without the alcohol. something is telling me if you had ginger, and if you're making fresh iced tea, that those combinations and vodka or even gin (I'd go for New Amsterdam because it has a citrus note to it) it maybe quite good.
    Again unsure of how much. So this is something I'm going to try too!

    ReplyDelete