Friday, June 15, 2012

Day 19: Relapse

  As I approached Armory Square (Finally) in Syracuse, NY which is a nice spot with a lot of people. This city through my eyes is finally beginning to resemble that of a city, instead of  a utopian University world. One of the best spots I saw was the local record store Sound Garden. Speaking of locals here is a sneaky plug to my friend Brandon's record label Steak & Cake. Brandon makes great music and he has a great set of friends who are just as talented so you should check them out. I loved the area it reminded me of Allentown. It's a small section of Syracuse, but it still has a great vibe to it. Sadly, there's a high frequency of crime I've been told, as well as a lot of people who are homeless. It makes me sad but you can't let everything get you down.

   Then it happened. I thought I spotted another street with other little shops so I thought "Hey maybe I can pick my mom up something nice since she's visiting me this weekend!". As I approached the corner, a deep breath overcame me. As I took my breath into my lungs my senses immediately sent me familiar brain signals of something I haven't been exposed to in almost 20 days. It was refreshing. Full of bitter hop and  a sweet wheat scent danced under my nose as I kept walking down the strip. As I paced down the street to avoid the sight of beer all I could see were happy faces holding their tall glasses, crisped with flakes of frost dressed around them. Seeing that blonde bubbling ale staring at me wanted me to go inside so badly and just buy a shot of beer. To my right I see bottles of bud so I crossed the street. Immediately I was faced in front of a pint glass with an orange wedge. The thought of having a pint of Blue Moon in my hand sounds just as good. I was in a panic because It was such a hot day, people were sitting outside enjoying the beautiful Friday. It wasn't until I walked in front of the brunt of it all; The Brewery. Right in front of my face, the beautiful process of whatever ale you can create in large quantities. If I wasn't on the phone with anyone who knew of my challenge I honestly would have gave in.

In my head I think why? Was it because for the first time I've been exposed to this temptation? Is it because of the gorgeous summer day, and I can't remember a summer in my adulthood were there wasn't alcohol around, even if I didn't want to drink it. We are so dependent on anything that can enhance how much fun you can have. Oh there is nothing to watch on the television so lets play a drinking game to "The Big Bang Theory". I know it is something that brings people together, just like food. It's sad that we could do without the food and just bring the booze.

This leads me to wonder if I will ever drink as much as I used to. I know I still have part two to this challenge, but I'm getting accustomed to the fact that I don't need to drink everyday. This does not omit the fact that I don't need a drink now. You'll never see me go this long without it again. I just find it interesting that we all love alcohol. It's so taboo and strict with laws that it influences so many people to act on drinking. People who underage drink because it's everywhere. It's on all of our media outlets, it infects our minds. It does such a great job at it too! I know there are few people who choose not to drink and that's fine, but then this leads me to believe that everyone has their vices, and they are all judged based on our own morals. If I told you all I was doing a thirty day challenge to not eat, you'd think I was crazy and find it to be very dangerous. There are cultures that do this, and we think they are weird for giving up food. You would also judge if I said I was going to do nothing but eat 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I'd be on the road to the 600lb woman!

I've learned there is a consequence for everything, and a reason for everything.
Let's let life be what it is, and just do the best that YOU can to be as moral as you can. I feel as if you feel as if you're doing that's right then you can't be entirely in the wrong. That is of course if it threatens society, then you are becoming a problem to the masses. However, I will not judge you for what you believe, I will judge you for how you act on it.


Wow, this too such a turn to left field. You never expect what you start to write. Sometimes you just have to let your fingers go...

If you know what I mean..


No comments:

Post a Comment