Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day 14 the Liquor Store Review

 I finally got a taste of the real aspect of Syracuse. My friend Katie took me down Wescott Avenue which is like a mini Elmwood Village for my Buffalo Natives. It's actually quite cute. There are a few restaurants that seem to always be busy which I like. Something about a busy restaurant just opens the door for a good time to me. I mean, sometimes if I'm looking for an intimate setting I do prefer something that isn't as loud, and with a big bathroom stall.

 The point of our little trip was to check out the Wescott Liquor store. Now, Seeing as how I have been in Syracuse for the past two weeks, there are only tiny spots of interesting aspects of the city. I still have the whole summer to explore, so I have not completely knocked off the city as a wasteland. I also have not seen the suburbs and other aspects of the area as well which from what my friends who are from here have claimed to be quite the adventure. What I was not expecting, was the limited selection at a liquor store.

When I walked in, I was greeted with a warm welcome that really made me feel comfortable. Sadly at liquor stores and sometimes at the one I work at, we try to be friendly, but in the back of our minds we think "Are they going to steal today" It's not a racial thing, but I figured for a small city it would be. That was not the case and I thought that was awesome. Then the first thing I saw was Sutter Home, and Arbor Mist. I took a long breath and told myself that we sell the same things in Buffalo, this is a business and you have to cater to what everyone likes. What they did not have, were any good wines.

I think there were about four wines that I was willing to buy, and only about double when it came to spirits, maybe 10. I need to find another liquor store to compare to see if maybe they cater to a different audience. I was realistic with myself and  understood that this store is right by campus. Students aren't looking for class, their goal is to get drunk as fast and as cheap as possible. They are also located right across the street from a restaurant, so that can be useful for well drinks.

Hey, I was just happy I found a liquor store. I haven't even physically seen any alcohol since I've been here. I was starting to think that it didn't exist.

One thing that I have heard is a common around the city however are the prices. At Gates Circle Wine and Liquor we charge a handle of Svedka for $23.91 with tax. At Wescott, $27 +tax. I was blown away. I mag of Rex Golliath was $12.99 were you can get it at Gates for  $9.99 sometimes $8.99 for a sale. It's a good thing I'm getting paid as much as I am, because I will need it. I'm sure this will be cheaper at the bars here's hoping.

Again, the service was great, and they seem like a nice family owned store. I am a full supporter of small business, but seriously, take a dollar or two off your prices. I was even afraid to ask if they had any Cabernet's that were known for having more notes of eucalyptus, I don't even think the owner spoke a bit of english. I'm not saying that's bad, I'm just saying you have to know your product.

To make it even better, I was wearing a rugby shirt about drinking, didn't even get carded. Either I'm really old or the cashier had the hots for me since he gave me full service the whole time I was there. I'm guessing the latter.

I'll let you know if I find a better place. The store does have an awesome location and again, they mean well.

No comments:

Post a Comment